R. G. Ivey 1891-1974
In 1947 Richard G. Ivey, Q.C., LL.D established The Richard Ivey Foundation (now known as the Ivey Foundation) and later, in 1965 The Richard and Jean Ivey Fund, both private charitable foundations incorporated without share capital under the laws of the Province of Ontario.
Over a period of more than 30 years the Richard and Jean Ivey Fund made grants amounting to approximately $ 28,000,000 allocated to: Health and Education 62%, Community Development and the Environment 33 %, and Arts and Culture 5%. In 1998, when the President of the Richard and Jean Ivey Fund, Mrs. H. Lorraine Shuttleworth and the Secretary-Treasurer, Mr. Keith L. Sumner retired, the assets of the Fund were divided to establish two smaller foundations, the Neptis and Salamander Foundations.
The Salamander Foundation currently has two areas of interest: Arts and Culture, and the Environment.
The Foundation seeks to promote continuity and discovery in the arts and in culture, and to recognize the forms, functions and interactions of natural systems in the environment.
For summaries of grants made in the current year and in the previous 2 years, See: Recent Grants
Directors, Officers and Members
Nan Shuttleworth, President
Paul O. Gratias, Secretary Treasurer
Peter M. Adamson
H. Lorraine Shuttleworth
Keith L. Sumner